When you buy a package holiday, the tour operator who supplies the holiday must use reasonable care and skill in arranging the services that form part of the holiday in order to avoid holiday accidents, injuries or illness. These include :-
- All aspects of the hotel accommodation
- Air travel to/from your place of departure
- Coach or care transfers to/from your accommodation
- Excursions booked as part of the package holiday
- Equipment hire, lift passes and lessons relating to a skiing/snowboarding holiday
If anything goes wrong with one of these services and as a result you are injured, you have the right to pursue a claim for compensation in this country against the tour operator.
Examples of claims that commonly occur include:
- A trip or slip on a hotel floor because it is wet or defective
- A fall from a balcony
- Injuries sustained whilst diving into a hotel pool
- Road accidents during transfers
- Food poisoning
- Injuries caused by faulty or poorly maintained items like furniture, playground equipment and electrical items
- Injuries sustained during excursions
- Injuries caused by faulty equipment or poor instruction when skiing or snowboarding
At Hilary Meredith Solicitors Ltd, we have the experience and expertise to help you pursue your package holiday claim. It is crucial that you choose the right solicitor to handle your case because the issues involved can be complex and usually involve careful consideration of foreign law and health and safety standards. Our success is founded on the thorough investigations we undertake at the outset of the claim, our relationships with and access to foreign lawyers and experts.
We will need to determine whether the holiday you bought was a package holiday and this will involve looking at all the booking documents and the tour operator’s terms and conditions. It will also be necessary to establish that the cause of the accident or illness was a failure by the tour operator, or whoever supplied the service under the package, to take reasonable steps to ensure that you were not injured or did not become ill. As this is a complex area of law, we will always strive to keep our advice simple straightforward and relevant.
Even if you did not buy a package holiday, it may still be possible to make a claim against the person or organisation that caused your injury or illness.
To discuss your claim free of charge with our Accidents Abroad team contact us on 0800 124 4444 or start your claim now.
Or visit our Accident or Illness Abroad website for further information